Wednesday, October 10, 2012

62% reality (my head tilts to the left)

One of my besties from sophomore high school (band goobers unite!) - has asked that we meet her on the flip side of the 6000 mile journey, due to family/hosting issues.

"OK - so I am really disappointed now that I know you are not actually camping - like in a tent - across America. But hey. That's social media."

"But we are camping - we'll hit up friends and family along the way. Nashville, Vail and Burley, Idaho where my cousins live - sure thing so we can wash hair and clothes, have a home-cooked meal and chat with loved ones. Other than that, it's all tents, baby."

"Yeah - but you aren't really camping. Across. America."

That is what writers do. Truth doused with a pinch of fiction, but you have to figure out which 38% that may be (which is perhaps more than a pinch).

"I'm just kidding!" she writes back.

Texting is so far removed from an actual conversation - in person, no less! And as my mama always says: Much truth lies in jest.

___

"My head tilts to the left," my engineer friend from the same era happened to chime in during the same on-line coversation. We had just made a joke about the entire "left brain/right brain" dynamic.  "You do know you are taking the long way? Wait - I will google this and get you a better route."

"I think we are perhaps wanting to take the longer way~"

He paused for a moment. Even after 35 years, and several lifetimes ago, he gets it.

"Gotcha."

No comments:

Post a Comment