Sunday, October 7, 2012

weak of departure

"So.... why is he going out west for a month? And he's camping?" my brother asked. It wasn't so much an incredulous tone but one of wonderment, spiced with a bit of jealousy.

A week earlier, my love told me about his intended month-long Walkabout. Needless to say, I didn't take it well due to the critical juncture in our relationship.

After a good night's sleep and some coaxing from my mother as well as my Euro pen pal, all was good in my world. Green light. We made new plans to meet up in California at the half-way point, whenever that may be. And I fully understood that may not happen. Lovely simpatico compromise.

Two days later he recanted and offered me the biggest compliment in our courtship.

"Come with me. Please."

My heart still stops with those words.

"So - you're both going now?" my brother asks in an incredulous tone.

"Isn't the whole purpose of a Walkabout to... walk... about. By ... yourself?" my pen pal says.

Sometimes it isn't just a language or a lack thereof that divides us, but an entire world view. Sometimes, this even happens with someone you have known your whole life.

"He asked me," I say flatly.

"Oh honey. I am so happy for both of you," my mother says. "Although nothing will be the same once this trip is over."

Precisely.

Still need to venture out and find that penny whistle~

1 comment:

  1. Ok, this gave me chills! "He asked me." That is special:)

    ReplyDelete