Saturday, October 20, 2012

Neo-Camping (Vail, CO)





"So this would be 'fancy pants camping,'" my friend who shall remain nameless said. "But keep up the writing," he encourages. "It's enjoyably linear, but a wandering linear."

"Hey- we are making our way across the country, and if someone wants to offer us a place to stay in Vail for the cleaning costs, then hey- We are all over it," I say a bit defensively.

OK - So I'm getting my ass chapped by a couple of folks about the tent camping thing that hasn't happened as of yet, but hold on people~ I am a couple of days behind with the posts and tonight we arrive at Orvis Hot Springs in Ridgeway, Colorado.

In the meantime, we are staying in a wonderful condo with splendorous views. It's nice to stay put for several days while we catch our breath before the next push will land us at the Hot Springs, and we finally make good on the camping proclamations.

DAY 8

An incredibly big day, as we set out for Wyoming to visit Brush Creek Ranch in Saratoga (about 3 1/2 hours from here.) Big not as in long and tiring, but important since his daughter worked there over the summer and asked that we both visit.

The pictures on their website do not do it justice. 6500 acres of gorgeous terrain, a beautiful staff, and tranquil atmosphere. I guess for what you are paying you should get all that! There are multiple activities, from hatchet throwing to horseback riding, archery, shooting ranges, and fly fishing. The facility was (literally) over the top with views from every room, incredible artwork, and tasteful furnishings. Even the privies on the back property are pretty.

But it wasn't until our two-hour ATV ride that the magnitude of the owners' vision truly came to light. They are down to four bison now from 17.

"I never really got hunting these guys. It's like shooting a Volkswagon," our guide says, as the beast merely stands up, snorts and gazes at us with a bemused look. We go off road and shoot one ourselves (with a camera). They are more like cattle than tigers.

We stop at a yurt in what seems like the middle of nowhere, where two workers are building a 360 degree deck. With help for the bad foot, I manage to climb a ladder and enter a remote party center, replete with skins and mounts hunted from the land.

NOTE: More pictures to come later when we figure out how to get them off of his camera. My master's in Educational Technology from 1998 is really coming in handy. It doesn't matter that it's from a prestigious university, it might as well be from 1888.

She and her boyfriend want to come back after they graduate which is totally understandable. The staff couldn't say enough nice things about both of them, and I could practically see Lovey bust a couple of buttons during the visit.

Which leads to a lot of introspection. I was that girl once upon a time and here I am at this point in my life. I always struggled for what I got and never caught the easy breaks. When I finally did in show business, that didn't work out either. The whole "Rolling stone gathers no moss," thing gets lonely, especially when you have lived in as many places as I have.

"I'm not going to join this pity party. She manifested that job," he says.

And then we get into a philosophical discussion when he finally says, "Maybe you aren't asking the universe in the right way."

Needless to say it went south from there.

DAY 9

Sunshine on my Shoulders - God's therapy for my aching muscles~

A Low and Slow day. I am catching up with you and laundry (he loves that I fold his clothes). He is giving love to Selena the Sienna who is pushing 180,000 miles. Oil change and fixing the back latch that broke in the ice storm. This is actually her second coast to coast trip out west, in addition to the one I made to Arkansas by myself with four children and a chihuahua (both are stories from a lifetime ago).

"We have been eating out too much. It is time for grocery shopping and peanut butter. And I'm telling you, this is a deal breaker."

(expectant pause)

"Crunchy."

"By all means! But here is another deal-breaker. Choosy mothers..."

"... CHOOSE JIF."

Oh hell yes, and we give each other a silly fraternity high five in the Safeco in Avon, Colorado. Sometimes it's the very small things that puts your perspective  back on track.

All is good with the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment