Saturday, October 13, 2012

Inauspicious Beginnings



DAY 1: From the moment I woke up until 5 PM, it was pretty much a nightmare. I can’t even write about anything before Knoxville (even though I have and will share later); Freud would have a field day. 

It was amazing that we got packed for the journey, made the 440-mile trek to Nashville, and finally managed to mingle into a splendid evening with new (and very old friends).

When we first landed at his folks’ place, there was a moment of serendipity when his cousin happened to emerge in the parking lot at the same time we did. Quite a coincidence after 8 hours of sometimes torturous travel. She hugs him with the familiarity that is a close-knit family. And then she turns to me, looks me in the eyes, smiles and says, “It's so nice to see you.” She invites us to the Vanderbilt v. Florida game the next day – AND there is a tailgate! His tail was practically wagging.

Since we arrived much later than we had planned, there was a short, awkward meeting with his mother, who is the family matriarch. She looked stunning since she had let her hair go naturally silver-gray and wore a black velvet pantsuit with sequins. The dapper attire of her long-time companion made them a handsome couple. They were to leave in about 20 minutes for the ballet. Did I mention the nerves?

I took a scalding shower to rub off the morning and the trip and North Carolina: I actually looked forward to going to a party where I knew no one.

This “party” was so much more: it was a celebration of a core group of people who have maintained friendships across time and distance. We can only hope to be so lucky. There was wonderful food, much laughter among old college friends, and some hilarious yesteryear stories that made some blush.

“Y’all remember the squash casserole flying out of the third floor?”

“More like the 10th floor,” too much hoots and hollers. But no only a few could hear, because many boisterous conversations were occurring at once.

I met a beautiful lady who offered me hope in our family dynamic. A high-powered executive who is a fan of the show (“I just did a first season marathon last weekend!”) A teacher in the realm I once was, except country music! The leader of a daycare who hosted this incredible party, and has the gift of having all of these beautiful friends.

By the end of this extraordinary day, the music was loud, the laughter was raucous, and there was dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment